Monday, August 30, 2010

First Week--I Survived!

I am officially a teacher! I've taught one week and one day of lessons, and I'm happy to say that it's exactly what I hoped it'd be like.
The kids are polite and--even though they're a handful--I've already started to adore them. I teach two regular English classes and three Pre-AP. The difference between the two classes is vast, but I think that's due to the high level of second language learners in my regular classes.
I've had some frustrating moments & some funny moments. Here are some things that have made me laugh:

Young male student, lounging casually on my desk after class- "Miss. . .I wanted to tell you. . .I broke up with my girlfriend yesterday."

***
Student-"Miss! You're actually not wearing heels today!"

***

"I'm Mrs. Minich."
"Mrs. what?"
"Mrs. Minich."
"......Can we just call you Mrs. M-fresh?"

***

"Tell me two true statements about yourself and one lie. We'll try to guess which one is the lie."
Student- "I have two brothers. I like to read. I have a hot girlfriend."
"Which one is the lie, class?"
Entire class- "He has a hot girlfriend!"
Student, in all seriousness-"Yeah. She's not really hot. She's kind of medium."

***

There have been even more moments that made me giggle, but I'm exhausted and probably won't remember them until later. All in all, I've really, really enjoyed myself. I'm completely and totally overwhelmed with the administrative side of teaching, but I've stopped treading water and am finally starting to swim. Before I felt like I was drowning.

Tomorrow we are going to the library to take our ID pictures. I took mine a week ago and it looks TERRIBLE. Maybe I can convince her to get me another? ;)

I'm off to finish the sweet and sour pork chops I'm baking for my hubby and his brother Tim! Bye!

2 comments:

  1. Nikki, I love both your blogs! You seem like such a sweeheart. I am sure you will do GREAT. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your doing great. I love your jokes.

    ReplyDelete