Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Spirit Stick

Woohoo--my first post!

I received the opportunity to meet my freshman cheerleading squad three or four weeks ago. I met them at a cheer camp at SMU, and they are such a phenomenal group of girls. It's really going to be a challenge for me to target their individual learning needs; some girls have been cheering and dancing for years. Others are coordinated but have no cheerleading experience. I'll have to find a way to challenge the girls who have been participating in the sport for years while teaching some of the newer girls the basics.

At the end of every day of camp (which is huge, by the way! Hundreds of cheerleaders from all over Texas attend.), the camp coordinators award prizes and spirit sticks. These are coveted awards for the cheerleaders; it means that they have enough talent and enthusiasm to stand apart from the crowd. By the last day of camp, my squad had not yet received an award or spirit stick. I think they were feeling overwhelmed and intimidated by the more advanced cheerleaders there.

I asked them to sit around a circle cross-legged with me. I told them my expectations of them throughout the year. We talked about health, camaraderie, enthusiasm, safety, and a willingness to try. I then asked them what they wanted, needed, and expected from ME as a coach. We went around the circle and each girl told me what they hoped to get out of this experience. Some wanted to make new friends; some wanted to get involved in extracurricular activities. But most everyone wanted to prove something--to themselves, to others, to the parents. They wanted to prove that they could come together as a group of strangers with varying degrees of talent and leave as a top-notch squad.

I could tell they were down on themselves. After a week at camp, they hadn't received any awards or recognition for their growth and improvement. I told them, "Tomorrow, on the last day of camp, you are going to win a spirit stick. Tomorrow, you're going to show up with a smile on your face. When your buddy (their assigned mentor) asks you to try something new, you'll jump into it 110%. If you struggle, you'll do it again until you get it right. Tomorrow you are going to be clapping and cheering for the other squads who accomplish something; you are going to be helping and supporting each other. Tomorrow you are going to be little sponges; absorb and learn everything you can. And tomorrow, you are going to bring me back a spirit stick." The girls grinned (they are SO cute!) and gave me great big hugs, each one promising to make me proud.

The last day of camp I was teaching summer school and was unable to reach SMU when awards were finally distributed. I arrived late and sat with the JV and Varsity coach. Before I could even ask the other coaches how my girls did, I saw them see me. They all held hands and, in one long line, started galloping towards me. When I was about fifteen feet away, they all ran into me, surrounding me in a giant hug and screaming, "We love you, Coach Minich!" I laughed so hard I almost cried! Then they stepped back and said, "We have something for you."

They then handed me TWO superior ribbons, the "Spotting" award, AND a spirit stick! I KNEW they could do it! I was so incredibly proud of them! I knew they just needed to start a new day with a different mindset--"I can do this. I can do this. I will do this." They had been feeling so down, and I think our little pow-wow was just what they needed. They worked so incredibly hard and proved something to me and to themselves.

I know it's going to be a great year with them. We have a garage sale fundraiser coming up--I'll keep everyone updated in case you'd like to come visit us. :)

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome. I am so happy for you.I love you and good luck.

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to do wonders this year Nik. I can feel it. You have so many students that look up to you already! It's going to be a great year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Kiki, You are the most beautiful woman...inside and out. The children and are lucky to have you..and you them.

    I learn something each day. They are such little blessings. Enjoy each and every moment. It's going to be a wonderful ride! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Sissy!

    I can never begin to tell you how incredibly proud I am of you. It's like everytime I tell you, you go and do something even more extraordinary! You are such a gifted person, and SO smart. God clearly blessed you, there is no doubt in that. Everything you do touches me inside. I could never have a better role model than you. You have achieved so much in such a short time, I cannot wait to see what will bring in the years to come.
    Like I said, I am so proud of you, and I could not have asked God for a more loving, caring, smart, fun sister to get to look up to my whole life.
    I love you so much Sissy <3
    ~Pockets

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...YAY for your team! WaHOOOOOO....

    Mom

    ReplyDelete